Thursday, October 4, 2007

Microfinance

I heard about microfinancing in the last six months to a year. Organizations set up shop in poor nations of the world and provide very small loans to people in order to help them start a business, go to school, etc.

By small we're talking $50, $1,000. Stuff like that. But they're loaning to people with no collateral and often no credit history. But the repayment rate is usually in the high 90% range.

They use peer groups--like co-signers, I guess--in place of collateral and credit history. And the desire to make good on the loans so as not to disappoint the group leads to tremendous repayment success.

I just caught a link to a story about one--Por Mujer--that operates in several South America countries. Por Mujer--For Women--provides small loans to women. Their average loan balance is $192 and the repayment rate is 99%.

The first time I heard about microfinancing groups, I believe they were operating in impoverished African countries.

I'm sure there's bad stuff about microfinancing, but I haven't read it yet. Still, I'll refrain from advocating. But go learn more if it tickles your fancy. And feel free to let me know what you find out, if anything.

No comments: