Wednesday, January 30, 2008

She is woman, hear her roar

Ted Kennedy endorsed Obama the other day. Massachusetts Senate President Therese Murray didn’t like that. She didn’t like it at all...

According to the State House News Service, the usually-circumspect Murray is bluntly calling out Ted Kennedy and John Kerry for backing Obama over Hillary Clinton.

"I don't want to be pushed aside anymore. I don't want to be patted on the head, saying, 'You did a good job on that, but now we got this young person, we got this attractive man, because you can't get elected because the media said you couldn't, because the polls said you couldn't. We're going to put this guy out front. And by the way we need your help, and could you organize this or that.' I'm not doing that anymore.... Fifty-one percent of the population, and we've all worked on campaigns, we've stuffed the envelopes, we've licked the stamps for a lot of men in our party and it's disappointing to see the men in our party walk away from a woman candidate."

Some women feel Ted should’ve just stayed out of the race. I’ve been guessing that women would go to Hillary’s side. I’ve made the argument that, women would rally to her side, even though they may not be public about it because of the grief Hillary and her supporters get from Clinton haters. But I felt that when many women stepped into the voting booth, they would think of their grandmothers, mothers and daughters, as well as all the condescending or sexist comments from men, or the doors that were closed on them over the years and that they would quietly smile and pull the lever for Hillary.

We’ll see how it plays out.

*I think many African-Americans will do the same for Obama, but women make up a greater share of voters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that woman will in large vote for a fellow woman. I think it's about time a woman had a crack at the White House. Men having been running this country to ground and to war for ever; it's time we get to see what an intelligent, "ballsy" woman can do!
AFter all, she's already been there once!

Anonymous said...

My soon-to-be 87 year old mother recently said "it's time for a woman president" and I agree with her 100%. I am not sure Hillary is necessarily the "right" woman for the job and I don't agree with everything see says or is in favor of, but she is definitely no worse than any other candidate out there so I say "let's give her a try"! I think that women have been ignored for too long not only in politics but in business as well. It's time that the 51% of the population have representation at the highest level! I think there will be plenty of women like my mom and me that will probably vote for her because she is a woman

Anonymous said...

I still haven't made up my mind completely, but I am leaning toward Hillary, but not at all because she is a woman. I don't find her warm and fuzzy at all and that really bothers me. I do feel she has the edge over Obama in experience and that is important to me. Barney Frank's support of Hillary has gone a long way towards pushing her to the front of my preferences. I have a lot of respect for him and he has had experience working with her. Mostly I have voted Democratic (not always), but would have no problem voting for a Republican, if I thought they had the best candidate!

Joanna B said...

I can't believe any one would vote for Hillary. Women included. The following reasons just do not cut it as a reason to vote for her:

1 - You are a woman so you should vote for a woman - uh - no.

2 - The country is ready for a female president - ok - but not Hillary.

3 - She has been in the White House once - oh yeah that's a good reason to vote for her.

I perrsonally am not sure who I will be voting for in November but I do know it will not be Hillary. 8 years of a Clinton administration was enough.