Friday, February 1, 2008

Hillary for President

I was disappointed that John Edwards was not able to make more headway in the Democratic Presidential primaries. He was my favored candidate and I made phone calls and knocked on NH doors in support of him. I do take solace in the fact that his focus on poverty, trade issues and the middle class has influenced the debate among the other democratic candidates. They are paying much more attention to and speaking more about those issues because of John Edwards.

That being said, I am now supporting Hillary Clinton. I think her experience as a lawyer and advocate over the years, combined with her work as a Senator and active role as First Lady of Arkansas and the United States make her the more qualified choice. Her experience is really much deeper and more extensive than being First Lady. She's got some impressive credentials that are often overlooked. Refresh your memory here.

When the talk of bipartisanship and unity from the campaign fades and the reality of crafting and passing legislation settles in, I think she will be better prepared. I feel she has an understanding of how the Executive Branch and the bureaucracy works and how to make it work. Having a former two term President as her husband helps, too.

It’s not that I think Obama is unqualified or is tremendously flawed. In the end, I will actively support whoever is the Democratic nominee because either of them is a better match for my political beliefs than McCain or Romney. But I am hereby endorsing Hillary Clinton for President.

No comments: