Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Lobie's next marriage should be to NESN

Local TV sports broadcast icon Bob Lobel was unceremoniously dumped by WBZ. He seems to be taking it well, at least.

If I were with the Red Sox or running NESN, I would be in touch with Lobel very soon. The network really needs a boost. Aside from games themselves, I think they are really missing the boat, programming-wise. They could/should be doing much more to have viewers tuning in to additional programming.

I think Lobel would be an excellent addition to the team. But only here and there. The sports reporter debate shows are overdone and I think Lobel looks overdone himself on those programs. He'd be better used as a narrator or host of prerecorded specials. Let him narrate player videographies, a history of Fenway Park, history of baseball in Boston, or major sports stories in Boston history.

It'd be easy, flexible work that would allow him to spend most of his time being retired. His comments reacting to his 'BZ departure seem to indicate he's looking forward to that. And it would give NESN a recognizable and beloved sports broadcasting legend. I like Tom Carron and Hazel Mae is, well, I get why they hired her. But they don't have anyone that brings to the table what Lobie does.

I suspect it won't happen. I've been waiting for NESN to develop more and better shows since the new owners bought the club with TV "genius" Tom Werner part of the team. I'm hungry for new shows on that channel. But so far it's only been more infomercials and a very lame dating show set at Fenway. Easily the most disappointing part of the new owners' tenure.

No comments: