Thursday, April 10, 2008

Song of the Day: Behind Blue Eyes

boomp3.com

Been a big fan of the Who since the mid-80s, when a friend of mine loaned me a tape of Who's Last. I bought one after another until I had pretty much everthing they did.

I even taped stuff off King Biscuit Flower Hour, a syndicated radio show that ran locally on Sunday nights and played lots of live music. It became something of a hobby of mine to have both tape shows and then use my double tape deck to edit out commericals and unwanted stuff.

Not long ago I pulled out my cassette tape collection to find some stuff I never replaced with CDs or from other electronic sources. One of the first things I pulled out were the live Who tapes. I rigged a walkman to the microphone input on my computer and used a program I donwloaded for free online (Audacity) to record the stuff and save it in a format I could input to iTunes. Now they happily reside on my iPod.

I've since moved lots of my old tapes onto my iPod. Could I have just paid 99 cents a song? Sure, would've been much easier. But moving them from tape to iPod gave me the same enjoyment I got editing those old live tapes.

This isn't live or taken from my cassette collection. But it was available and it's a good song.

1 comment:

Quriltai said...

You may want to try the version of this song that Roger Daltrey did with the Chieftains from a recording in Belfast. Not overly Irish-hokey, but a different take on the song.