Friday, May 2, 2008

Bad news for Derrick Coleman

Derrick Coleman was scary good when he played at Syracuse. And Syracuse was really, really good at that time. As a freshman he was a major contributor to one of the best programs in one of the best conferences in the country.

He was big, strong, fast and quick. He could do it inside and outside on the offensive end, he ran the floor and he defended pretty well.

I rooted for Providence back then, because that's who my dad always rooted for. I'd root for St. John's, too. Georgetown and Syracuse were the evil empires to me. Other than maybe Patrick Ewing, I don't know if anyone worried me more as an opponent than Derrick Coleman.

He had a very good pro career, too, though maybe not as great as some might have expected. He played on some bad teams in New Jersey and had some knee problems, too, as I recall. There might have been a few attitude problems, as well.

Sad now, is the news that Derrick Coleman is apparently in desperate need for a heart transplant. He had some problems with his heart that were thought to have been taken care of with medication, but things have gotten worse.

He's only 40 and, according to Vecsey's article linked above, went home and did some good work in his old neighborhood after retiring.

I feel bad for the guy.

No comments: