Monday, June 16, 2008

Song of the Day: Somebody to Love

Late one night this weekend I was falling asleep with the TV on. It was one of those PBS fundraising shows. You know, they show the best thing they've shown all year, but they interrupt it with pleas for money. And if you pledge money, they pledge to show stuff one level down in quality, but without the interruptions for begging.

Anyway, what they were showing was a Queen concert in Montreal from 1981 or somewhere thereabouts.

Freddie Mercury really was a great rock frontman. A great showman and even while bouncing around on stage his voice sounds great. And they're doing some songs that require a good voice.

Here's the first best Queen song I could find on boomp3.com. Always been one of my favorite Queen songs. Great piano, great vocals, great everything.

It's also featured in the penguin filled movie "Happy Feet", which is fun.

boomp3.com

Did I ever mention that the first full length album I ever bought was Queen's News of the World? It had that creepy cover of a giant cartoon robot/creature picking up cartoon members of the band. It had We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions on it. I had had some 45s before that and some kids albums that parents had bought, but this was my first full length album that I got to choose. I think I must've been 5 or 6.

No comments: