Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hey Comcast: Bu-Bye!

I watched only the first half and then got kind of bored with it. I decided to watch some MMA that was recorded on my DVR. I'm switching from Comcast to FIOS cable today, so all my DVRd stuff will be gone.

Why am I switching?

--I have a grudge against Comcast. I had to set up multiple appointments for the initial installation when the driver claimed I wasn't home. (Car was in driveway, I caught a glimpse of him through the window cruising by without stopping.) I didn't want cable in the first place. We bought all the DirecTV stuff, but the installer said the signal was blocked by trees.

--I'm stuck in the middle of their battle with the NFL. Comcast started charging $7 to get NFL Network, possibly because the NFL won't let Comcast offer Direct Ticket. I don't blame Comcast for that. I'd love to get Direct Ticket and I'm bothered that the NFL makes it available only to one satellite provider. But, I can get the NFL Network free on FIOS. That means I can buy an extra $7 worth of penny candy every month.

--It's cheaper for us to switch. We already have Verizon home phone and FIOS internet. Mrs. noternie has Verizon wireless. She does the bills and she said it's cheaper to switch. That means it's cheaper.

--The channels are as good or better. In addition to the NFL Network, we'll get the SPEED Channel free. We would've had to pay to get it on Comcast.

--The DVR thing. We have one with Comcast, but FIOS has that deal where you get a DVR in one room, but can watch anything recorded on that DVR in any other room that has a cable box. Good for late night mma watching in bed after Mrs. noternie has nodded off.

--I have a grudge against Comcast. It bears repeating. When I called to complain and reschedule my initial installation mentioned above, they COULD NOT HAVE CARED LESS that I had taken time off of work and would have to take MORE time off work simply because their guy drove by without stopping.

2 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

I am sorry to learn that you are leaving Comcast. We certainly apologize for all the troubles you experienced with our company.

We would like to make sure that your experience is looked into so that other customers will not go through the same experience. If it is not so much of a trouble, will you please send me the phone number on your account? This information will help us better understand your experience.

Also If there is anything I can do to change your decision, please know I am here to assist.

Thank you for sharing this post. I appreciate the opportunity to assist!

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

noternie said...

I think this message is spam or a form letter. My reasons for switching, as well as my zeal in doing so, were pretty clear in the post.

Rather than trolling blogs, perhaps Comcast might want to conduct exit interviews with subscribers that are leaving their service. Unless the shear number of cancelling subscribers would make it too Hurculean a task.

This comment is obviously too little, too late. I consider it a feeble attempt at public relations, rather than customer service.

Goodbye Comcast. I'm glad to be rid of you!