Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My ballot

For President and Vice President--Barack Obama and Joe Biden.
Barack Obama was not my first choice. He wasn't my second choice. I was first for John Edwards and then Hillary Clinton. But I'm not unhappy with the Democratic nominee. No candidate is perfect; not this one, not the other two I preferred before him. Still, Barack Obama and Joe Biden, who I've always liked a lot, are far and away the best choice in today's election. If there were nothing to consider by temperament and style, Obama's optimistic, positive and to some inspiring campaign would have it all over McCain's bitter, divisive effort. But Obama also seems to have and celebrate an appreciation for the intellectual efforts, where McCain-Palin seem to think anything not from the gut is elitist. I am a Democrat and a liberal, it is true. So ideology and policy preferences turn me to one party naturally. The Obama-Biden ticket though, gives me confidence that they will seek solutions and fairness, not just success of the party line.

For US Senate--Blank.
I like Kerry, but I don't think he does enough for the state. He started pushing harder on national issues leading up to and since his Prez run, but I don't think he ever really "gets it" when it comes to representing Massachusetts and doing constituent services. i don't think he'll notice all the blank votes cast for this race, but I will. I wouldn't mind him moving on to a Cabinet position. I think he'd do better in the rarefied air. We might get a less influential member of the Senate, but i think they'd work harder and get to the level Kerry got to much quicker, Prez run notwithstanding.

For US Congress--Blank
I'm not a big fan of Stephen Lynch...or his wife, not that it should matter. But there's something off putting about seeing her double and triple parking the car with the US Congress plates to run into a store only a block or two from the house.

Mass Ballot Questions
1--No. Until the infrastructure fairies, education fairies come along.
2--Yes. Is weed worse than alcohol? Not in my book.
3--Yes. Not very strong feelings on this, but strong enough to vote on it.

1 comment:

Quriltai said...

WTF? Heck, even I voted for Kerry, noternie! Too bad Dunkelberger didn't get further with his primary challenge to Lynch two years ago. He really is dead weight in our delegation.

I definitely upgraded when I moved into Rep. Frank's district.