Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Song of the Day: All the Young Dudes



You'll know the song, for sure. But you may think it's David Bowie. Not so. It's Mott the Hoople's big hit. But Bowie did play a huuuuuuuge role in Mott the Hoople's success. According to wikipedia:
David Bowie had long been a fan of the band, and heard that they were about to split. He persuaded them to stay together and offered them "Suffragette City" from his then yet-to-be-released Ziggy Stardust album. They turned it down so Bowie wrote "All the Young Dudes" for them instead. Released as a single in July 1972, it was a success in the UK, with the band using Tippens - who by this time was their tour manager - to sing backing vocals during live gigs. A Bowie-produced album, also called All the Young Dudes, sold well. Late in 1972 they were going to record another Bowie song, "Drive-In Saturday"[citation needed], but their intended arrangement did not satisfy him and their professional relationship effectively ended.


More impressive is the fact that "All the Young Dudes" was the first performance by your humble narrator on Guitar Hero. My nephew received the Aerosmith version of the game at his birthday party on Saturday. After we waited out most of the rest of the guests and the house was nearly empty, he popped it in and few of us took turns. I did so-so practicing the intro to "Dream Police" by Cheap Trick. I think I had trouble because it was played at a significantly reduced speed.

When we went into concert mode, I was nervous about keeping up, but I did rather well, if I do say so myself. In only my second time handling the guitar, I hit 84% of the notes and had a streak of 134 straight correct notes. I didn't get booed off the stage. In fact, at the end it said "You Rocked." I think I could've done even better had I been a little more familiar with the fills and solos at the end, especially the notes that kick in off-beat.

No comments: