Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ranking the inaugural hats

I'll try to fill in with pictures as they become available. But for now, here's how I rank the hats on the main stage of the inauguration.

3. Red Pimp Fedora--I don't know who the guy was, but he had a prime seat, right on the aisle and in perfect view whenever they showed someone coming out of the doors of the Capital and down the stairs.

2. Old Man Bush--The large fur hat with ear flaps and all was accentuated by the bewildered look on George HW Bush's face every time they caught his image on camera. I don't agree with his politics, but I respect his career and achievements. Still, there was a day a few years ago when, during a rain delay, he walked onto the NESN set to talk with whoever was the anchor at the time. He looked disheveled and undignified; very un-Presidential. He looked that bad today. Anytime I even saw him in the background I had to stifle a laugh.

1. Aretha--Good grief! Anyone with a head that big would try to draw attention away from it, you'd think. Wear a large ribbon at the intersection of the chest and shoulder. Get a colorful, chunky necklace. Instead she goes the other way and gets a hat with such a ridiculously large, bedazzled ribbon that you can't help but be distracted from her voice. Was that silly thing suggested by some English royalty?

No comments: