Friday, March 6, 2009

Any reading suggestions?

The growing divide between rich and poor and the growing animosity each has toward the other in policy debates is making me nervous for America. It makes me wonder if another revolution is possible.

Fewer people vote. Sure, some because they "don't like politics" and some out of ignornance. But a growing number, I'd suspect, because they really feel the choice is not real. That kind of helplessness, that lack of confidence that people have any control over their own lives or ability to impact the society around them, doesn't seem a good thing to me.

Anyone have any primers on the French Revolution to suggest reading? I never felt I learned enough about that. Maybe I wasn't ready to learn when it came up in school. Maybe it was given short shrift.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I'd find any parallels in there.

I'M NOT ADVOCATING REVOLUTION, ARMED OR OTHERWISE. IF YOU ARE AN UBER-PATRIOT OR GOVERNMENT SPOOK, DON'T BOTHER BUILDING A FILE ON ME. I'M NOT FOMENTING ANYTHING HERE, JUST THINKING.

1 comment:

Quriltai said...

The classic has long been and likely will long be Citizen by Simon Schama...