Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Song of the Day: I shot the sherriff

I'm not sure this is the best version of this song I've heard Clapton do. But it's worth a listen. Maybe you can start at the 4:50 mark, where the solo gears up. I"m not a big fan of the start of the song. So many parts on stage and in the ear. Sort of typical of what happens to some of the old folks who have the money for the production and want things to sound good on stage. Maybe they're told the audience age and ticket price require such a high level of production. To me, it strangles the life out of the music. Leave most of the backup singers backstage, reduce the keyboards and rhythm guitars. Just let them get out there and blast the shit out of it, like they did when they were young and hungry.

Clapton's up there, frankly, looking like a guy walking the halls at a retirement community.

But when it gets to 4:50 it's all worthwhile. I've said in the past that you could give me a four or five hour boxed set of Clapton or Stevie Ray playing instrumental pieces jamming away and I'd be happy for a long, long time. Minus the last three songs, the soundtrack from the movie "Rush" that Clapton did is one of my all time favorites. You all remember that movie? Gregg Allman was the big drug dealer. Jennifer Jason Leigh and (Jason?) Patrick were the undercover cops trying to bust him.

No comments: