Thursday, December 4, 2008

By request

From Hub Blog: "I've been monitoring your blog for your anticipated Saddest Day of the Year post, i.e. the leftover turkey is gone. So far, nothing. Too much in grief? Extra big turkey with leftovers still flowing?"

I did this post last year.

But it was a lean turkey sandwich year for me. Thanksgiving was at the in-laws and was delicious. The next day I spent at my mother's and enjoyed a delicious turkey sandwich with warmed stuffing, mayo and cranberry sauce on lightly toasted white bread. Heavenly!

But there were no leftovers taken from mom's. And later that day I failed to take the leftovers from the in-laws house when I went to reclaim Lenny. So Saturday passed with no turkey. And though the in-laws brought the leftovers by on Sunday, I was off to the Patriots game and could not enjoy them.

I got back on the horse Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, though there was no cranberry sauce in the house and the stuffing ran out Tuesday. Today's lunch was a meatball sub. Good, but not a turkey sandwich.

There were plans to go to the grocery store a day or two after thanksgiving and buy a turkey at a ridiculous markdown, just to fuel the turkey sandwich eating frenzy, but it did not happen.

So my last turkey sandwich was seven days after thanksgiving. But it was just turkey with mayo on the toast. And I had missed two consecutive days. It's funny, while I was making the last sandwich yesterday, I was thinking of college days, when suggested I put enough turkey and stuffing in bags for a sandwich and then repeat that several times and freeze it. All I needed to do was get a loaf of bread and a can of cranberry sauce and it was turkey heaven.

Maybe it's time for the pizza and Chinese, as referenced in last year's post. Maybe I'll go looking for that discounted bird...

No comments: